Specialization is the single most important thing you can do for your BA career (and your salary). Our members have heard me say this in our “How To Increase Your BA Salary Video” and more recently in the “Domain Knowledge” specialization conversations that I had with Rishi Poptani.
NOTE: THIS VIDEO WAS PUBLISHED IN OUR COMMUNITY 30 DAYS BEFORE YOUTUBE. Join us to get full access to all our other members-only materials and early access to our interview videos: https://bablocks.com/membership/
In this video, I had the pleasure of speaking with Vanessa Grant to get her expert advice on how to specialize by system in addition to specializing by domain, especially in the modules of the Salesforce platform.
Some of the subjects we covered include:
• What is Salesforce meant to do?
• Salesforce can do more than CRM? Can you help us understand that a little better from an enterprise manager’s perspective?
• Sales Cloud is the starting module place for most enterprises when it comes to implementation. They then usually move into Marketing Cloud, Service Cloud, Health Cloud, Education Cloud and other modules as required.
• Where do Salesforce business analysts spend the majority of their time: Business case, project execution, or application support?
• What are some of the benefits/challenges of cloud-based systems like Salesforce?
• The role of the Salesforce BA can be different depending on larger teams than smaller teams.
• Getting into doing business case-related BA work requires some implementation experience.
• I advise 95% of business analysts to specialize in some domain or system. What does the job market look like for analysts looking to specialize in Salesforce?
• How to use your specialized knowledge to help your client/employer make process and system decisions.
• Understanding how to specialize even more deeply within Salesforce (e.g. contract management with DocuSign/Conga).
• Is Marketing Cloud the hottest module of Salesforce right now? Is the Salesforce admin certification enough.
• Pick one module and start learning that before moving onto another module.
You can follow Vanessa on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/realvanessagrant/